Thursday, August 6, 2015

Why you might be wrong about INSIDE OUT



By Dan E

There's one thing I need to make clear here. This is not for film critics. I know film critics love Inside Out. I know most people who really appreciate film love Inside Out. But in my daily life, I talk about movies with people quite a bit. These are just normal everyday people. What I'm finding is that most people I talk to do not care for Inside Out. "How is this possible?" I ask myself. I come to one startling conclusion. Inside Out is going over people's heads. This no doubt sounds quite insulting. A kids movie going over an adults head? How dare I say such a thing! Here's where I say something even stranger. I do not think Inside Out is a kids movie.

We Americans tend to always think that movies that are animated and are rated G-PG are always kids movies, but this is not the case. Animation is simply a medium. Other countries, obviously Japan, completely understand this and use animation for anything they want. But even here in America, just because a film is animated and doesn't have any dirty words does not make it a kids film. I think there is much for a kid to enjoy here, but a kid won't really understand it. Neither will many adults. I think why I hear many people call Inside Out "boring" is they can't answer an imprtant question. What is Inside Out about?

Inside Out is about the death of innocence. Inside Out is about the point where childhood dies and is gone forever. I've heard Toy Story 3 described in a similar way, but Toy Story is much more on the surface and on the nose about it. It's not nearly as deep. Inside Out gives what is happening in a person's brain when their innocence and childhood wonder dies a story and dramatizes it. When you view it in that way, the film becomes so much more. Inside Out tells of when your love for certain things goes away by showing that happen exactly by the 'islands' crumbling. It shows when you stop loving your family all the time and start to be annoyed with them. It shows when you let go of your imaginary friends forever. It shows when your emotions go out of control for no reason into anger and apathy.  And finally, it shows that sometimes you can be so overwelmed with saddness that expressing it is the only thing that can save you. That moment at the end of the film is the most beautiful thing I've seen all year because we've all been there. We can all relate to it.

I think Inside Out is a masterpiece and is a monumentally important film. It's a film that will not only make you think, but even teach you how you think I only hope more people will revist it and watch it on a deeper level. Because on that level, there is a deeper joy to be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment